UCLG-MEWA Committee on Culture
Culture is an asset inherited from the past to the present and it has significant place for societies on a common ground. With its broad array from cultural and innovative industries to tourism and gastronomy, this heritage is both an activating and managing tool for economical, social and environmental aspects of sustainable development.
The key areas where culture can play a decisive role in the coming years as for the Sustainable Development Agenda can be listed under six headings;
- Eradication of poverty
- Qualified education
- Sustainable environmental development
- Sustainable cities
- Social cohesion
- Social inclusion
olmak üzere altı başlık altında toplanmıştır.
As a cultural platform that the members initiate and implement programs and policies that highlighting the role of culture in sustainable development, UCLG-MEWA Committee on Culture seeks to localize and internationally advocate the implementation of Agenda 21 for Culture, which underlines the he importance of the inextricable relationship between culture, citizenship and sustainable development. Committee further aims to promote culture and cultural diversity.
UCLG-MEWA Committee on Culture also aims to advocate the messages of cities by taking the needs of the regional and local governments and cities into consideration. Committee on Culture analyzes global cultural issues, develops projects among its members, and promotes experience sharing and mutual learning through network platforms.
Priorities of UCLG-MEWA Committee on Culture
The priorities of the UCLG-MEWA Culture Committee can be listed as follows;
- As for the Sustainable Development Goals, the Committee focuses on to make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable (Goal 11); to strengthen efforts to protect and safeguard the world's cultural and natural heritage (Goal 11.4); and to support the promotion of peaceful and inclusive societies (Goal 16) for sustainable development.
- Advocating all areas of the “Agenda 21 for Culture” and monitors its implementation of the agenda by local governments.
- Supporting the protection of cultural diversity, which is the main legacy of humanity.
- Reflecting the importance of historical centers and their surroundings in the development of districts and districts in the protection of cultural heritage in its programs and projects.
- Promoting the improvement and defense of cultural rights.
- Advocating the need to develop a sustainable tourism understanding that interacts with cultural ecosystems.
- Supporting the active participation of local community in the formulation, implementation and evaluation of public culture policies.
- Promoting culture of peace among its members by considering the peaceful solutions to the internal and external conflicts of cities.
- Encouraging committee members to consider national and international special days as reference in their activities and programs for the establishment of culture and peace.
- Developing policies and strategies in co-operation with the Committees on Environment, Local Governance and Social Inclusion as the culture interacts closely with the environment, social inclusion and governance.
Project Officer for UCLG-MEWA Committee on Culture: N.Işılay KAÇAKGİL
email@example.com Tel:+90 212 511 10 10 (165) Fax:+90 212 519 00 58