As a fundamental right, Gender Equality is also a necessary foundation for a peaceful, prosperous and sustainable future. Sustainability in the development of societies can only be achieved when there is gender equality. Therefore, the role of local authorities as the closest governing body to the individuals, in the fight against gender inequality of vital importance. Supporting the political, social and economic participation of women in local life is among the most significant duties of the local authorities.
UCLG-MEWA, promotes active participation of women in local, regional, national and international decision-making processes as a prerequisite of democracy and development. In this regard, it has launched Committee on Gender Equality for its members to create a common voice on gender equality, share their experiences, and develop policies in this field.
UCLG-MEWA Committee on Gender Equality
Launched at the UCLG-MEWA Executive Bureau and Council Joint Meeting held in 19 December 2014, UCLG-MEWA Committee on Gender Equality aims at working on the issues of gender mainstreaming and developing policies on the same topic by creating a platform between local authorities, and taking solid steps against gender inequality which is among the most important issues of today’s world, through the campaigns that it will support, and to be among the key actors that are working on eradication of this inequality. The Committee also follows up the developments in the global agenda through operating in parallel with the activities of UCLG World Organizations’ Standing Committee on Gender Equality and UN Women.
Priorities of the UCLG-MEWA Committee on Gender Equality
UCLG-MEWA Committee on Gender Equality indentified priorities which are;
- Quota system for greater political participation of women
- Developing social, political and economical regulations for enhancing access of women to all types of services
- Awareness raising campaigns in order to eliminate gender-oriented prejudices in society
- Sharing and dissemination of good practices of the local authorities in the field of gender equality issue
- Dissemination and the implementation of the European Charter for Equality of Women and Men in Local Life and the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW)
- Implementation of Sustainable Development Goals in particular Goal 5: promote gender equality and empower women in local policies.
President and Secretariat: Diyarbakır Metropolitan Municipality (Turkey)
Şişli Municipality (Istanbul, Turkey)
Sarıyer Municipality (Istanbul, Turkey)
World Academy for Local Government and Democracy (WALD)
Project Officer for UCLG-MEWA Committee on Gender Equality: Jülide ÇETİN
email@example.com Tel:0 212 511 10 10 (122) Faks: 0 212 519 00 60