Under the objectives heading of the UCLG-MEWA Charter, it is stated that the Organization is responsible for forming policy, developing programs and initiatives within the framework of the World Organization’s mission, values and objectives, and choosing appropriate tools to ensure implementation within the Organization’s fundamental rules. For this purpose, UCLG-MEWA has created thematic structures to follow the global municipal trends taking into account its regional dynamics.
The main duties of the committees are as follows:
- Building the road map of the relevant thematic areas in accordance with the Organization’s mission and regional strategies
- Ensuring regional representation in its area of activity
- Conveying global municipal developments in the relevant area to its members and creating mutual learning platforms
- Advocating for the inclusion of the regional needs related to its thematic area in the international agenda
- Informing its members about national and international funding sources for the relevant thematic area.
- Ensuring the localization of global agendas, especially the Sustainable Development Goals and the New Urban Agenda.