The Committee on Statutory Affairs charged with monitoring the electoral process in UCLG met in Barcelona on 19 and 20 September. The Committee is tasked with verifying eligibility criteria and ensuring that the principles and requirements that rule UCLG are observed.
After the revision of candidatures received for the Co-Presidency of UCLG, members of the Committee on Statutory Affairs noted that there are one or two possible posts within the Co-Presidency that would not be filled in the current situation, that one region (namely Europe) could potentially be left out of the presidential team and that no female candidature was presented. Further, there was no representation from regional government members. In view of these shortcomings, and given that candidatures for the UCLG Co-Presidency are personal, the Committee has agreed to extend the deadline for candidatures until 7 October 2016, welcoming female candidacies, in particular.
The Co-Presidency comprises up to 5 Co-Presidents and is elected by the World Council from among local government members for a renewable term between two ordinary sessions of the General Assembly. At least one of the above office-holders must come from an individual local government member; at least one must come from a national association and at least one must come from a member of the Metropolitan Section. It is strongly encouraged to take the principle of gender balance into account.
- Candidates must represent a paying local government member of UCLG.
- The member represented by the candidate will be up to date with the payment of their membership fees.
- According to the UCLG Constitution, the members of the Presidency shall hold a local electoral mandate; they must also be at the head of a) a local government or b) a national association of local governments.
- In order to advance in gender balance, female participation is strongly encouraged.
Candidacies must include:
- Short biography
- Manifesto or motivation letter
- Statements of support from 6 different local government members from at least 3 different Sections
- Explicit acceptance of the Terms of Reference for the UCLG Presidency
Candidacies must be presented by 7 October 2016 and will then be posted on the United Cities and Local Governments website: www.uclg.org.
The Co-Presidency is elected by the World Council of United Cities and Local Governments, which will meet on 15 October 2016 in Bogotá.
Candidacies may be sent by email, with a copy by post, to:
United Cities and Local Governments
Carrer Avinyó, 15
08002 Barcelona, España
Tel: +34 93 342 8755
Any questions concerning the above can be addressed to the Secretary General.
The UCLG World Secretariat
Please click on the links below to access the following documents: