On 23-24 January 2017, UCLG-MEWA will welcome two delegations of mayors from Lebanon, Morocco and Ivory Coast.
The Lebanese delegation comprises Mohamed SAADIEH, President of Dannieh Municipalities Union; Abdulfattah ALLAM, Mayor of Mrah Sreij; Ziad JAMAL, Mayor of Bakhoun and Ali SABRA, Mayor of Bikaasefrine.
The Delegation of Morocco and Ivory Coast comprises Mohamed SEFIANI, Mayor of Chefchaouen and President of Moroccan Association for Eco-Cities (AMEV); Diane Nasseneba TOURE, Mayor of Odienne (Côte d’Ivoire) and Vice-President of Union of Cities and Communes of Ivory Coast (UVICOCI) , and Dalila EL HARRAS, working in the Secretary of I-Cities Working Group and in the Municipality of Chefchaouen.
The agenda of the meeting will cover different topics such as:
- Discussions on the participation of UCLG-MEWA in the World Forum of Intermediary Cities;
- Discussions on the cooperation with MEDCITIES (network of Mediterranean coastal cities);
- Sister city agreement between Dannieh Municipalities Union and Maltepe Municipality;
- Possibility to sign other sister city agreements between Lebanese, Moroccan, Ivorian Municipalities and Turkish Municipalities;
- The next meeting of UCLG-MEWA Committee on Local Governance in Dannieh in April 2017;
After the meeting, the Lebanese delegation will pay a visit to Maltepe Municipality to sign the sister city agreement and organization of a commemoration event for the victims of the terrorist attack of Reina which killed Lebanese citizens as well.
The Moroccan and Ivorian representatives will pay visit to some districts municipalities of Istanbul and Kırklareli to discuss about possible cooperation and to strengthen the relations between the municipalities of Turkey and Africa.