The sixth edition of the Guangzhou International Award for Urban Innovation is now accepting calls for projects.
The City of Guangzhou, Metropolis, and UCLG are cooperating once again to recognize innovation in improving social, economic, and environmental sustainability as well as good urban governance in cities and regions—advancing the prosperity and quality of life of their citizens.
Starting today until 31 August 2023, experts from around the world can submit their ongoing or recently completed initiatives, including those that are implemented in collaboration with private and civil society partners.
Areas can include: social inclusion and shared prosperity, environmental protection and resilience, public services and infrastructure, urban heritage and cultural preservation, smart cities and technological governance.
Since 2012, Guangzhou, Metropolis, and UCLG have run five editions of the Award, receiving a total of 1,361 initiatives from 556 cities and metropolitan areas in 96 countries. Over the years, we have seen the flourishing of ambitious and innovative projects that have become benchmarks of progress towards more sustainable and inclusive societies. Examples include the Milan Food Policy, an innovative framework for making urban food system more sustainable and inclusive; the Zebras of La Paz, a project which has been recognized by UNESCO as a “cultural asset” of the world for its contribution to the development of a stronger civic culture in La Paz; and Hangzhou’s Urban Public Bicycle Sharing Programme, becoming China’s first public bicycle project.
Full details of the projects are available through the Guangzhou Award’s Urban Innovation Database which features more than 1200 projects from around the world.
Timeline of the Guangzhou Award
· February, 2023: Open for Submissions
· July 31, 2023: Early-Bird Submission Deadline (Cities submitting their applications before the early bird deadline have the opportunity to receive feedback and advice on how to improve their submissions.)
· August 31, 2023: Final Submission Deadline
· September, 2023: Evaluation by the Technical Committee and
· Release of the 15 Short-listed Cities and 30 Deserving Cities
· November, 2023: Online Vote: The City of Your Choice
· December, 2023: International Seminar on Learning from Urban Innovation; Final Assessment by Jury; Award Ceremony; Global Mayors’ Forum
· The Guangzhou Award will be given to up to five (5) cities during each award cycle.
· Each of the winning cities will receive a USD 20,000 cash prize, a trophy, and a commemorative certificate designed for the award.
· The winners of the Guangzhou Award are also invited to attend special events including the Global Mayors’ Forum, an exhibition, and the award ceremony.
For more information, consult the details of the 6th Guangzhou Award and the application procedures
APPLICATIONS FOR THE 6TH GUANGZHOU AWARD ARE NOW OPEN
Comments are disabled